Monday, June 04, 2007

In the flight path

And a plane has just passed overhead, so close that it seems Marcello (one of the Bolivian brothers who manage the Internet services to this complex) in the far tower - Tower D- could reach out of his window with a poker and scrape the paint off the left wing. Cy is likely on that plane on the way to Dubai (a stopover that will be considerably less that the 7 hours she dreaded due to a 4 hour delay). I wonder how it will feel to be back in the US since she is unsure if and when she will return.

This morning, Cy woke me with to come gather the stuff she didn't want to cart back to the US... although it would have all have fit within her luggage allowance - she had the least luggage of any woman here (although she was well -and flamboyantly- dressed every single day). She regards clothes as kinds of costumes; a wonderful perspective that we took good advantage of at her farewell party two nights ago. The cafeteria musicians (who no longer work at the cafeteria) came and played some folk music, Kurdish and Turkish, along with a little Gypsy King's. Cynthia got out her Jordanian veil/mask decorated with coins (a item Tf wouldn't let me wear as he said I looked like a scary witch doctor of some sort) and her belly dancer's scarf and we all took turns dancing with it... although nobody could beat her flamenco. Later Z and Mu came and Mu helped Tf kill the multitude of mosquitos (who entered while the smokers were smoking on the balcony) by throwing the sofa's golden 'throw' cushions at the celing where the pesky devils were congregating next to the light bulb.

To be honest, although sad to see Cy leave, I didn't really want to get up to say goodbye as the mosquitos migrated to my house last night and I woke up with a lip so bitten and swollen I looked as though I'd been in a fight. Anyway, one more teacher has left and summer is coming. I still haven't made my plans and wonder when and where I will go, and who will return in fall... If I am here, I will watch their planes come in from my balcony and (if my camera is fixed by then) take a photo to prove how close to the flight path we really are.

No comments: