Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Two Lives

Two lives, two wives, two families... A Hawleri friend desires this - "Two lives" not referring to the two lives discussed in Vikram Seth's biography, but to the two separate lives he wishes to live with two separate women in two separate families he will have here in Erbil. The scary part is that I think I was to consider being the second... Is it possible? As unattractive (mostly due to my Western perspectives) as I might be to a Kurdish man, I was told that I am beautiful, after all, "Woman - Fat - Good to Kurdistan!" I was then quizzed on my thoughts about a person having two families. I avoided response and was then pointedly asked a more personal question along the lines of whether or not I would ever consider being someone's second wife.

Hmmm.... I think NOT! I hope that is the end of that discussion, however, there was an interesting moment whereby I had flashbacks of India... except in India, it was never an earnest youngish man who I actually knew, but only flippant efforts by old rich silk factory owners (or jewelers) with nasty teeth looking for a fourth and final wife... Perhaps they thought a nice wheatish-colored Non-resident Indian (or half-Indian) might add to the prestige of their household. Here in Kurdistan, I think I would more likely bring dishonor and shame.

No comments: