Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Birthday 2007

Yesterday marked my second birthday celebrated in Hawler! But unlike last year, this year my birthday fell in the middle of the Eid break, so many who were here last year were all off on a short break. But the day was extraordinarily well spent... I got up just before my bell rang - my friendly neighbour come to sing a loungy-jazzy redition of "Happy Birthday!"
This first picture is taken in D's apartment. She and her daughter made and decorated cupcakes and even arranged for one to be topped with a tealight (must be resourceful in Erbil) so that I could have my birthday wish. It was fabulous.
After lunch, I headed off to the Citadel again, but not to view Nasdak, to get a set of keys cut and to explore. This pic was taken in the mirror at the little museum next to the textile museum at the top of the Citadel.
This is just for fun - new friends with scary faces (taken at the same museum)... I wonder where the museum found their mannekins. Just so you know, everything there is very much for sale, including the '70s floor lamps, the brass giraffe paperweights, the paintings of Saddam and/or Barzani or the cantelope piggy banks.
After all the wallking around, we needed a little snack: Falafel from a little window. We took them next to a little parky-area where people, mostly men, were sitting under striped umbrellas and chatting. It was gorgeous. we were so naughty. We laughed and chatted everywhere and Hawler seemed to be OK with it... at least more than last year. Too bad the key cutter was closed by the time we got there... 2nd night in a row to be locked out of my house (but now I know I can get into my house via balconies in two different apartments- Tf's AND Noor's).
This last photo was taken from dinner upstairs: prawn curry, onion bhaji and pilaf. Sorry there are no food photos, but this is one of B taking a photo of me... Flash!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww happy birthday...will try and find a cupcake with a tealight today and eat in your honor :)
christina (cannot remember my blogspot login anymore)