Sunday, November 25, 2007

Not yet in Hawler

Last weekend, we (Dr. Z, Pambette and I) went on a little jaunt down to Suli! Although we really only had one evening and half of the next day there, it was great. We didn't have time to drive up and observe the view, but we did get what we came for - a little break from Hawler. Those of you who are Hawleri, please don't feel upset. I think little breaks are essential wherever you happen to live! Here are a few of the things you can observe in Suli (but not Hawler):

This first picture was taken at Dragon, a Chinese restaurant in Sarchner. Dr. Z is eating some "Chinese" noodles which were essentially spaghetti in Chinese sauce. The Chinese waitress argued that although the noodles were Itali mien that mien (noodles) are mien! I suppose that is true... and anyway, I was happy that although the food really wasn't good this time, I could still taste traces of authentic Chinese flavours (wood ear and other such lovely stuff)... This is different from the fake Sheraton in Hawler which thinks that if you add soy sauce to anything it becomes Chinese.

The second picture is also dedicated to food. It is where we had lunch on Saturday -Zara. Like Papula, is was attached to a department store, had a fast food restaurant downstairs and a cafe upstairs. What is special about these cafes in Suli is that there are coed groups of young people in the booths and young AND old couples out on dates. You can even see the occasional all female group! Another plus was the cappuccino... no Nescafe granules sprinkled on top!

A POST OFFICE! I wonder if it really functions. There was some news of a post office in Hawler as well, but none of us have seen it yet! I really want someone to mail me a letter just to try out the system.

And look here - a real phone booth. Near the bazaar in Hawler, you can also find some phones, but they are area phones belonging to some guy who stands there with the phone and collects your money. This is ever so much more... private (that is unless some foreign idiots come along and start taking your photo).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was reading ur post, and it made me really laugh, no offenses thought.....

Why it made me laugh??!!

Cause u choose points, which I think were not good enough to compare these two cites, I think there are many many other points which u can use them to compare between these two cities, but as far as u r not Kurd, then u don't know what points to chose to make such comparisons..... !!!

But these does not mean I didn't like ur blog, I really enjoyed it....

I liked this statement so much:

"This is different from the fake Sheraton in Hawler which thinks that if you add soy sauce to anything it becomes Chinese."
--------------------

"I wonder if it really functions. There was some news of a post office in Hawler as well, but none of us have seen it yet! I really want someone to mail me a letter just to try out the system."

Actually they are not functioning, they are only building remains.... nothing more... so bad :((

Thanks so much for this blog...

Regards

Zanmei said...

Indeed I am sorry to hear that the post office in Suli isn't really a post office. I guess now I will have to reconsider my desire to relocate to Suli. And for all of you regular readers out there, I hope that you were all clear that this was never intended to be a serious comparison of these two great Kurdish cities. In any case, Harman, I am glad you are enjoying my blog.