Thursday, February 04, 2010

Do you believe...

... that Burger King is coming to Erbil? My colleague J doesn't. He bet me (I forget how much or what we bet, but I know I accepted) that Burger King wasn't coming... and that if it did, it would be fake.

It could be that I have made a foolish bet. Frankly it could be several more months... or even years before Burger King arrives (not that it affects me much either way. Pret A Manger is my fast food of choice... that or an almost-gourmet burger with blue cheese at Numnums in Kanyon shopping center in Istanbul). However, if it does open in the relatively new Majidi Mall, it will be real. I know this because the other shops like Ecco (Danish footware), Mango (Spanish clothing), Mavi Jeans (Turkey) are all REAL! (Plus, please note that there are no spelling errors on the signs! Sure sign that it is not a fake).

Please see the posters adhered to the walls of the third floor food court and place your bet...



For better or worse, Erbil seems to be "developing" at quite the pace recently. (Feel free to insert your own definition of development).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that it's real and I have no doubt that it's fake. before 2 years we moved from Hawler to england and i miss hawler so much! So proud of ma hometown ...that's just so amazing ...the first place in Hawler will be Majidi Mall i am going to in sommer !! =)

Perla said...

In Erbil reserved means reserved...IF the real Burger King and/or KFC ever chose to come to Erbil...there's a spot reserved for them lol

Kaveh said...

Honestly considering the current situation of KRG, it's obvious that none of those famous brands will come here!
I had such a discussion with one of my friends when I visited Kudistan for the first time. Just like you, he believed that one of the consequences of all of these developments in Kurdistan, will be attendance of well-known US brands here, but I was (am!) sure that you can see famous brands from all over the world except US here in Kurdistan!