Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chia (Mt.) Azmar; Sulemani

Again I am late to post as these photos are from last weekend (and there are more to come from even further back than that... just waiting to get the photos from S and Z's respective cameras. These ones however come from mine! They are all from the mountaintops of Sulemiyah. The peak you see in the second photo is Mt. (Chia) Azmaar! I learned this from the driver (who spoke almost no English) on the way down to Sulemani... I was also informed where Talibani lives (at the foot of some mountains) and told a story which somehow connected Talibani (or some other high-ranking official with Mao Tse Tung! (Will have to get this story retold when a translator is present).

Anyway, I had a great time in the mountains as I met a SUV full of friendly people from Shinjian, China. I demonstrated to their child (possibly to the dismay of some local people) how to make snow angels and they told me where the Chinese restaurant was (most authentic non-Kurdish food I have had since my arrival in Kurdistan). Anyway, I am afraid I didn't get any photos of the groups of local men. with linked pinkies, dancing 'halai' to the music blaring from inside thier SUVs - next time!





Bad photo of me, but it was rather cold!

No comments: