Saturday, March 28, 2009

Miscellaneous Lebanon

And now I am back in Hawler, but I already miss Lebanon... and not just the sushi! On my last day, both D and I (separately) discovered a bunch of lovely cafes where it is possible to sit and enjoy a superb cappuccino while reading a book undisturbed and un-stared-at. The one below is not in Beirut, but in Baalbek.
And I already regret that I didn't make more time to explore quirky shopping venues. The one below is triangular-shaped; two glass and steel walls and one constructed to blend in with the ancient sites (stone walls studded with cross-sections of marble columns... not visible in photo).
It is nice to be able to walk safely in he evenings around atmospheric and historic churches and mosques...
To visit ruins and hill/mountaintop views (unfortunately this one is of the not-so-beautiful Tripoli)...
And finally, I really really miss the seaside!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful, whirlwind tour. Love the cat, of course
Lesley