Sunday, October 25, 2009

Summer Mud Huts; on the LONG Road Home

Some weekends ago, most likely because I had a 6:00pm appointment in Erbil, the friends that I had traveled to Sulemaniyah with decided that it would be a good idea to take the LONG way home to Erbil. And no, I am not talking about traveling to Erbil via the 3 hour long road from Koya as opposed to more dangerous 2-hour Kirkuk road... I am talking about an EVEN LONGER route that takes one on village roads through the mountains between Koya and Shaklawa and then around and back down to Erbil.

It turns out that somewhere along this road is the turn off to the home village of one of the friends in the car... not that we went to his village (or the village of his wife for that matter). But they did stop the car when I, catching a glimpse of the huts pictured below, screamed out, "Look at the turkeys!"

I am not really sure why such an exclamation should prompt the driver to stop, but stop he did. Please view the top two pictures for a view of the turkeys!

I alighted from the SUV, and there I stood, surrounded by turkeys! Then a man in a Kurdish suit came over and gesticulated at me. I, still unable to speak Kurdish (I truly do feel ashamed), could do nothing but follow while he took me on a tour of his family's summer home. Below, please view the barn. I understood that the various fowl (there were chickens as well) sleep here in the evening. The kitchen looked much like this as well, but with bags of grains leaning against the walls and a cooking area in one corner.
And below is the bedroom... complete with electricity! Amazing really considering where we were. A few naughty little girls were running around as we toured the home and barn, but refused to be photographed, running outside and hiding behind the skirts of the women sitting outside under a grass roof engaged in what appeared to be either weaving or food preparation.
And while I took this tour, those left in the car kept waving wildly. They had another destination in mind. I thanked my host (below) and went on my way.

No comments: