Thursday, November 26, 2009

Baghdadi Black Market?

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, BBC was in Baghdad in Iraq's National Museum.... Thanks to Google, I - and millions of others - will be able to view thousands of Iraqi treasures from this museum online (as the security is still not good enough for the museum to open its doors to the public) .

Wanting to see what kinds of treasures we were talking about, I searched the internet and came across the VERY COOL playing cards above on the museum's own site. It seems they were given out to soldiers in order to help them understand the importance of the cultural sites many of them were being deployed to... and to understand the history and culture of Iraq. I wonder if these cards are going to be sold at the museum's gift shop in some distant future when Baghdad becomes a tourist mecca again.

Until then, it is going to irritate me that the only people I know that have been to Hatra and other archeological and historic sites in Iraq are the military... and that the only people with these cool playing cards are (again) the military. I am thinking about asking my students who weekend in Baghdad to check and see if I can get these from the black market in Baghdad. Until then...

PS. Feel free to take a virtual walk though the Baghdad Museum here.

No comments: