Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Alienated by technology?

So ironically, after posting about how I syndicated my blog so that you could 'subscribe' and truly get it delivered daily... I stopped posting. Although much has happened over the last week... and which I will return to in upcoming posts: trips to Lenga - a different kind of bazaar, curious meetings at the fake Sheraton and Hawler Plaza, Kurdish food at my home, Kurdish dance lessons/a birthday party in a local women's university dorm (in full Kurdish dress), an incident in S's bathroom which now make her afraid to take a shower, suspicious dissappearance of musician after wild party, Z's promotion to King of the World... and more (badminton and art included), I just couldn't post anything. I have been sitting sad and lonely in the midst of all this due to an innability to get online and stay there for more than a minute or two.

So people think that technology alienates. This could be true for some, but for many of us 'expats', we know better. Friends or family who only live a few blocks away meet up once a week or so... friends and family (when all concerned are living abroad) may spend a few minutes or hours every night on msn, skype etc... Anyway, I now have a more dependable connection at the office, so please post and let me know which of the stories mentioned you'd like to hear first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What to post on first? The food of course!!

W in Yokohama, who's enjoyed all the Iraqi dishes she's tried out of Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food (which obviously contains no Kurdish recipes (g))

PS Other than problems staying on-line, any gripes about government filtering, etc. in Iraq.

Zanmei said...

Filtering? You mean like Internet censoring by the government? I don't really know if there are things I can't access... Kind of unrelated, but I know that you can't download Skype in the UAE!What a shame as I could save a little on phone calls.

Anonymous said...

hey i got this blog account just to leave u msg. I was a happy blog virgin till now and u broke my blog cherry. can u believe that? what r the tech problems? hope u got that solved. i was out voting when u howlered. now if u can updrade ur msn u can use off line msg function

Anonymous said...

i dont quite know how to use this blog thing. i got account just to ask if u got the tech thing solved. if u upgrade msn we can use off line msg function

Anonymous said...

of course everyone wants to know the story of z's promotion to the king of the world position!
love from istanbul,
z.