Sunday, December 17, 2006

Iceberg, Ice tea, Ice cube… Eskimo

Or was the last 'term of endearment' ice cream'? I certainly was called all of these by a certain Kurdish gentleman who was irate over the fact that he had surreptitiously slipped me his number one night and that I hadn’t used it. I thought that it was obviously a greater likelihood that I wouldn’t, seeing as we have no common language with which to communicate over the phone. (Hence the comment that 'Eskimo' is not really a term we use anymore was silly and wasted.)

To make matters worse, he then produced a picture (which he had snapped via cell phone and printed out on a color printer) and further complained (in front of people!) that he looked at my picture every night before sleeping… and that I hadn’t called: and then again with the ‘iceberg, ice cube, ice tea'… Me! Is this a Kurdish notion of romance?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A British-Jamaican asked me to marry him on the bus the other day on my way to Forest Hill. I lied and told him i had a BF but he still wanted to give me his number. Why would you want to marry someone who would meet you behind their BF's back? I suspect he was lying when he said he wanted to marry someone 'caring and not for money'! I love London. I've also been told 'I love you' by a (drunk) Irish guy on the street and 'Can I give you my phone number? I think you are very nice' by an African kid in Peckham. Do these guys ever actually MEET women?!