Monday, December 18, 2006

Hawler Wedding Banquet


So what happens at a Kurdish wedding in Hawler? I still don't know as I seem only to come in part way through. At this particular wedding, I experienced the banquet part. I don't know if and when there is an actual ceremony (I guess it was before I arrived), but at the banquet, guests sit and the bride and groom visit each table to shake hands and take pictures with the guests. Then there is Kurdish dancing where guests form lines and hold hands by thier pinkies and dance. Finally the food comes, big trays full of fried meat... and big surprise, there is no champagne to toaste the happy couple... in fact, no alcohol of any kind.... I enjoyed the wedding immensely, but had to go out and eat again afterwards as I couldn't manage any of the food on my plate at the banquet.

No comments: