Thursday, May 10, 2007

rumors of crying babies

After I leave here, it is likely I will be able to write an entire book on the role and effects of rumours... at least concerning my current context. As my current workplace is a new establishment, rumours abound. The latest rumor is that the members of my department (me included) were crying and behaving like babies after yesterday's explosion.

In fact, it was quite the opposite. I wasn't the only one who continued to teach. And our students appreciated this. It seems that our reactions were really important to them as they saw our willingness to stay and teach as a kind of indication that rumours they had heard were false. (One of those rumours being that all the foreign staff would leave at the slightest incident leaving the institution to close or become a 'local' institution).

No comments: