Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Moving Day

Short Takes: News from the International Trade Administration:
" In Erbil, Iraq, two managers of the Ankara-based Nursoy Group of Companies give Under Secretary Franklin L. Lavin an overview of the skyline-defining “Naz City” apartment complex. The mid-rises are the first of their kind in Erbil and are the most visible signs of the growing prosperity and hopefulness of this region of Iraq. (U.S. Department of Commerce photo) "

Well, I can't comment on the asthetic value of the 'skyline-defining' buildings pictured above, but I guess they are probably really are the 'first of their kind in Erbil'. I also can't comment on what they symbolize in economic terms for the region. They are of interest to me and some of our insular little community here as yesterday we received notice that we will be moving into them by (the latest) April 15th.

Some of you will remember reading my posts in October about the much anticipated opening of the New City shopping center and advise me not to hold my breath... I won't (although I am eager to escape the scrutiny of the gate-keepers at our current 'compound'). And I will be curious to see (after moving), if the swimming pool is also ready for use... and if women are permitted to use it. My fingers are crossed.

No comments: