Sunday, February 17, 2008

Silver Lining

Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah... Someone's in the kitchen I know...
Oh, wait... It's ME! Life sure is sad when the highlight of your week is buying a pressure cooker! But indeed that was the highlight of last week. Mu helped me find one in the market that was made in Germany (in the hopes that it would not explode upon first use) and luckily, it did not! My biryani (although I added too much water and cooked it a little too long) had exactly the flavor I was hoping for.

Funnily enough, the above photo was part of a Hawkin's ad campaign entitled Silver Lining. (Perhaps saving time by using this cooker was the silver lining of being a surburban housewife?). I stole the ad from a blog called Isn't Life Terrible where it illustrates a letter from Hawkin's to Dinah (the model)expressing regret that the product has been recalled due to a few explosions, and as Hawkin's is now out of the pressure cooker business, mightn't she be interested in some underwater exploration equipment.

1 comment:

Saffron said...

Congrats on your new pressure cooker! I have 2 (one French, on Chinese, neither ever giving me any trouble; the Chinese one actually being TOO safe), and it's a rare week they don't get used at least once.

Honestly, I am amazed that more people don't use them. I mean, in winter you can make a fabulous stew after work and still get to bed on time. And in summer, you can make all sorts of great stuff without making your place a hot-house (although the joys (?) of the the Japanese summer are slightly different that those of Iraq, the less time the cooker is on the better in either case, right?).

Plus you never have to lug outrageously overpriced cans of beans home again. What's not to love?!

W in Tokyo