Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back in One Piece - Viking Airlines OK

Yes, the map above is stolen from the Viking Airlines website. Viking being only 6 years old, and brand new to Erbil, lots of people are wondering how my trip out (and back in) to Erbil was... (And if it isn't really a local company - Atrosh Air- with nothing to do with Vikings or Scandinavia)... which it isn't.

In all honesty, the flight out was a bit of disaster (I wasn't informed by Miran Aviation - I will buy ticket online from Aer Olympic next time - that the flight was not actually leaving at 7:00PM, but at nearly 2:00AM the next morning.... then I discovered after check-in that the flight time was delayed by another two hours... and then two hours more... By the time we were in the air, it was already 6:00am! But on the way back, the delay was truly only 2 hours and I expect that is probably about what to expect in future.

On the up side, while there was no in-flight entertainment and no complimentary alcohol with meal service (I heard someone bitterly complaining about this - I swear it wasn't me), the seats were slightly larger than some other airlines (I don't care if it was because the plane was older) and the flight attendants spoke Swedish, English... AND KURDISH! Fabulous. There weren't any passengers pushing, occupying the wrong seats or wandering around in confusion as all received the same courtesies (like instructions in one's native language) that one should be able to expect travelling to and from one's home country.

No comments: