Friday, August 28, 2009

"The Place to be CHARMED"

This is the slogan of the Lebanese Beauty Center in Shoresh. And indeed, the Lebanese Beauty salon is impressive enough that (although I had formerly eschewed all local beauty clinics - preferring to travel all the way to Istanbul for a hair cut), I think I am finally ready to get my next hair cut right here in Hawler! Why the change of heart? This is an easy one. I went for eyebrow threading and entered a room that was neat, clean, comfortable and completely stocked with enough disposable supplies & disinfectants to put one's mind to rest about the accidental transfer of communicable diseases! In fact, it was so clean, I would like to bring the staff of Erbil's medical establishments here for a quick lesson on how to avoid infection. You get to lie on a sterilized chair on top of a disposable sheet to get a leg waxing at the beauty salon (as opposed to lying on a dirty table covered by a dirty sheet and rubbed with a wand that hasn't been cleaned after the last 4 patients to get an ultrasound at the hospital). If like me, you are a bit of a compulsive shopper, your first trip might prove to be expensive as there is much to spend your money on at the salon: Swartzkopf, Wella, L'Oreal, Clarins... Haircare, Skincare and make up! I was sorely tempted as during the month of Ramadan, a $200 purchase earns you a free massage. Luckily I avoided temptation as I had only brought enough for my $10 eyebrow threading, which wasn't considered a purchase anyway.
Today I took a cab for a 11:30 appointment, arriving at the same time as the first staff members! (It is Ramadan and schedules change to accommodate those who are fasting). I got out of my taxi just after Bakery & More (in front of Casa Flora) and walked in with the staff through the back room of the flower shop to get to the staircase leading to the salon. The room pictured above is the one you first enter where whoever is at the desk will check your reservation and direct you to the waiting room (below) where you will be served a beverage of some type. I opted for cappuccino.
Luckily I didn't have to wait long, which is good as there are more magazines in Arabic and French than in English.

My reccommedation so far? Ask for Nina if you want eyebrow threading. Radha's waxing techniques are quick and relatively painless. And all of the manicurists seem to be skilled. They can even add little decorative flourishes to your nails (as tasteful or as garish as you wish) at no extra charge...

No comments: