Friday, August 28, 2009

What's wrong with this picture?

Although I have been back a week already and have unpacked and put away all my things, a bag from Lily Whites still sits in my hallway. A request from Mu. Before leaving on vacation, I had asked all my friends staying in Erbil over the summer what they would like from overseas. K asked for a bag of decaffeinated coffee and Mu asked for nothing. Then on the last day of my vacation, Mu calls asking for running shoes - any brand but Adidas in size 41.
I was busy, but headed to the largest sports center I know in London - Lily Whites in Piccadilly Circus. Although there were shoes on sale for 27 GBP, I headed upstairs to the running section as I was informed that if the recipient would be using the shoes to run on concrete, I should really invest in a better pair. They were ALL ugly, but I guess that is the nature of men's running shoes. I asked the sales clerk to check carefully that the shoes in the box were both size 41 as the recipient would not be able to try them on until I arrived in Iraq. She assured me that they were both size 41. What she did not tell me is that the shoes had more than that in common... they were both for the LEFT foot. While there are some that might say that Mu has two left feet, I don't think they would mean it LITERALLY. I am a little annoyed and have included the bag in the photo so that all of you from the UK will know to check your purchases from Lily Whites carefully before packing them for travel... better yet, before leaving the store!

No comments: