Tuesday, April 24, 2007

On Trial

Sometime in the 16th C, Bartholomew Chasennee won a court case in which he was legally representing and defending the province’s rats – rats guilty of eating the grain needed to feed the people of that same province. The verdict was that they would be given an option to relocate within a set number of days or face extermination. I don’t have all the details about this event as I was unable to download the facts (one source being the Virginia Law Review-1899) from JSTOR, but I heard about it from a friend who read it in a paper by a French philosopher. We were discussing law, policy and logic.

In any case, I now know that the case was real and not fabricated which is more that I can say for equally unbelievable stories about my immediate surroundings! Are the defendants here also pernicious vermin? Who are the jurors and what constitutes their criteria for decision-making? I wouldn’t hazard a guess as rumors are more in abundance than facts.

No comments: