Monday, April 23, 2007

Praying Lions, Chanting Roosters and Singing Camels - newsworthy animals

(Photo credit to Mosnews.com; Russian news online in English!)


Izzy (not his real name), a newspaper editor, incensed that one of his journalists printed an announcement of her engagement on the front page of his independant Iraqi paper, began a diatribe about what was and wasn't newsworthy in a 'serious' paper. However, we both agreed on the entertainment value of some articles in OTHER papers...

I have fond memories of a 3/4 page article on Shuma the singing camel printed in the Taipei Times (which incidentally has won awards for design). Staff refused to comment on this article and it was not added to Internet archives... good thing I saved it on a former blog! Izzy was telling me something I couldn't quite understand about a praying lion in Baku written up in a Turkish paper. I can't read Turkish (this is one of the banes of my Hawler existance-but that is a story for another post), so the best I could find were the following places where you can hear the lion roar Allah! I also found that a rooster in the Kyrgyz city of Osh started calling out the name of Allah instead of crowing... and this article also mentioned the praying lion of Azerbaijan. (Shuma was also purportedly from this region).... I think I should schedule a visit to the zoo soon.

No comments: