Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Nesting

Many residents don't really like the accomodations here at Naz City, but I am not one of them. It is true, the complex is far away from everything... including the reality of life for most in Kurdistan. (Please note here, that I would be equally happy in a villa in a regular residential part of Hawler, complete with only partial electricity and Hawleri neighbours)! But I am happy to be out of New City where I felt like the owners were like my jailers.

Although this apartment is only on temporary loan until I either decide to leave or fate decides it for me, I have accumulated enough stuff to make the apartment (despite the fact that it is identical to everyone else's) feel like my own. Perhaps it is due to the Kurdish rugs (again many of us have purchased a few - or more), strange gifts from Sol that I have carted back from Paris, some books, and the contents of the kitchen cupboards- contents consisting of wierd things (or at least not common in Hawler) that I go to several different supermarkets to puchase; coconut milk, balsamic vinegar, tamarind and saffron from Aya, microwave popcorn from New City, baking supplies, brown sugar and Italian tortellini from Barz Rose and of course the staples from Nazaa Mall.

Anyway, for those of you who want to know what the place looks like, here are a few photos:The picture above is the view to the left (from my living room balcony). The sun comes up in the gap between the two buildings. It is roughly the direction of Ankawa. And of course the picture below is the pool.
Below is my living room. Yes, the gold sofas, curtains etc might not have been my choice, but after removal of the sofa cushions, the sofa is actually quite comfortable to sleep on. (The floors are a real pain to keep clean given that great amounts of dust/sand blow in whenever the doors/windows are open).
And the two photos following are of the kitchen. It is quite large and I would like to get a white plastic picnic table and chairs to put in front of the window... Plastic so that I could also move it all to the balcony and maybe take advantage of the built-in barbecue there. (I haven't done this yet as everytime I go on the balcony in the evening, the mosquitos are the only creatures partying).
The final photo is of the master bedroom. It is too big to get a full view, but the doors on the right are those to the walk-in closet. The photo is taken from inside the ensuit. Aside from this, there are 3 other rooms; a spare bedroom (minus furniture), a smaller room which I use to dry and iron my laundry in... and an office space which is as yet unused due to inadequate lighting. Will post pictures of those rooms if I ever get around to cleaning them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice...very nice!

You've come up in the world since that airy (ahem) one-room in Yokohama (g).

Meanwhile, the UNHCR-organized Refugee Film Festival opened in Tokyo last night with the film "Iraq in Fragments". Have you seen it?

W in Tokyo

Zanmei said...

It can't get much worse than that! But I had a 3-bedroom apartment in Taiwan as well that was just waiting for you to come and visit... Check here for photos before it was furnished: http://zanmei.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_archive.html
Then scroll down to September 20th's post. It wasn't as fancy, but everything worked... And it had some wierd touches, like a Chinese restaurant styled window in my bedroom.

Anonymous said...

It looks a real "renovator's dream" (g).

Would have loved to have visited Taiwan. Why did that never happen...?

Although that new pool of yours is screaming out for it, I guess there won't be too much skinny dipping going on, eh.

Zanmei said...

No skinny dipping likely ever I think... not with all those windows that have a view despite the glass brick wall being built