Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baa Baa

If you have ever been to the Textile Museum at the top of the Citadel in Erbil, you have likely seen the nomadic tent on the rooftop. But have you ever seen the real thing? I don't know why, but I sort of thought it was a thing of the past until this past weekend. I saw one when exiting the environs of Amedi and these other two in Shekhan near Lalish.

Sheep, goats and a donkey... You don't know how much these animals make me happy. It gives me opportunity to use the first words I learned in Kurdish (on a road trip to Sulemaniyah): mar, bizen, ker... Good thing sheep don't lunch on laundry.
And these sheep are ones spotted from the bus from Amedi. Unfortunately I missed catching the shepherds with my lens, but they were wearing Arab headdresses (kefiya, agal and all) and some rode donkeys. More bedouin?

No comments: