Tuesday, May 27, 2008

sex segregation

It is strange how things which might ordinarily appear normal to me in Canada have become something to write about here in Hawler. I took this photo in our school parking lot as I was struck by both the casual attitudes and attires of both students.

Just a few days ago, I was chatting with chatting one of the 2 new sociology professors at our university cafeteria and he commented on how strange he found it that the male and female students don't seem to really mix. This struck me as quite odd as I now find it such a relief to come to the university cafeteria because there are certain students who do not feel obliged to sit with only the same sex at a table. This togetherness has now become the welcomed exception rather than the norm that I expect outside of the campus... although perhaps some of the 'mixing' is due to the fact that some of those comfortable enough to sit with the opposite sex have lived abroad.

No comments: