Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Animals of Lake Van

In Hawler, one of the things I miss is animals. How I would love to have a cat or a dog... but I think I will have to settle for houseplants after my return from summer vacation. However, there was no shortage of animals around Lake Van. In addition to cats and dogs, I also encountered lizards, turtles and plenty of farm animals (cows, sheep, goats, donkey - although granted, these farm stock also exist in Hawler)The guy above was spotted on one of the walls of the ruined castle at Cavustepe.
This turle was inside one of the houses at Ahlat. The museum owner picked it up and threw it out on the grass. I was worried for its health in the hot sun, but then I saw a number of them ambling slowly along the road coming down from Mt. Nemrut, so it would seem the sun is no problem.
I post this picture for Cy because although she is now back in the US, she had a dream of wandering with the shepherds. The man with these goats stopped us on Mt. Nemrut to let his herd pass. He then came up to the car to greet and shake hands with us. Granted I didn't wander the fields with his flock, but I am sure he would have allowed it had we asked.

No comments: