Saturday, August 25, 2007

Istanbul and the Disco Cows

Although perhaps not what comes to mind when you think of Istanbul, I give you.... cows!

I have been here now for about 5 days, but unfortunately have not had enough time to write - busy, busy as usual. On the first day, I checked into a little one-star hotel called Avrupa Otel in a part of Taksim where its modest doorway was almost unnoticable, sandwiched as it was (and still is) between 4 and 5 star hotels. It was very clean however, and the people nice. I have since taken one day to go to the Grand Bazaar to help W (W in Tokyo) find a suitable bellydancing outfit, one day to find a Turkish language school (and begin classes immediately - one day after the start date), a day to check out health clubs, a day to start my exercise regime at my newly found health club, two nights to check out the side streets off of Istiklal Caddesi and today to shop. And although I have not done any sightseeing yet, I have sighted a number of cows!




The first 3 pictures are taken near Akmerkez Shopping Center in Levent... a place somewhere between my Turkish school and my health club (Maya-Uptown). The final picture is special because it was taken by Tf (you may notice these initials from post from Iraq). Tf, like B was also travelling in Iraq and because his passport was stolen he was kept back in Istanbul just long enough for me to meet up with him for beer and mezzes in the little passages off of Istiklal Caddesi - my first foray. Tf asked me if I noticed the cows and he used my camera to take the below photo somewhere near Taksim (sorry it is fuzzy).

No comments: