Thursday, August 02, 2007

Halay

Shayi in Sorani, Halay in Kurmanci - it is traditional Kurdish dancing... and the name of the live music club I went to on Tuesday night in Van before coming to Tatvan. Such clubs being conspicuously absent in Erbil, it was fabulous to go out. The club was empty to begin with but soon filled with local guys and some visitors from Iran who joined the local guys on the dance floor. The group played all the Kurdish music I hear all the time being played at Batmas restaurant in Erbil (but with a slight rock edge). They were great!

Then last night I came to Tatvan and got to join in the dancing myself. As it turns out, the owner of the construction company that built the apartment complex I live in in Erbil is from Tatvan and the town was full of people comıng for his little brother`s weddıng. It was huge and as not all the guests could fit in the hall, the women were inside and the men outside. With slight trepidation (I am not so comfortable crashing weddings at which where I don't know anyone) I entered and the groom`s mother (all in black with a white headscarf) greeted me warmly depite my being a stranger. I then got kissed by all the women there I happened to pass by and was led out to join the dancing. I didn't stay long, but I did meet not only the groom, but also hıs older brother who later gave me an invitation and a brochure for his luxury hotel in Cappadoccia. He was pleased to meet someone living in the building his company constructed it seems. I will let you know how it is after I reach Cappadoccia later this month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh.

So we have digs set up in Cappadoccia already?? Now you've been to the wedding, I guess you're one of the family.

Looking forward to seeing you when I get to Cappadoccia...

W in Tokyo