Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jinemed - Medical Tourism Center

This is medical tourism at its most effective. It takes all of 3 days for your operation! To the left is Dr. Teksan Camlibel. On Wednesday afternoon, I was ushered into Dr. Teksan's office for my consultation (where I discovered the objects in my abdominal cavity which needed removing had grown even bigger). He explained the operation procedure while I admired the certificates on the wall behind him. While normally, I don't find this kind of display of achievements impressive, I found it somewhat comforting that Dr. Camlibel had graduated from John Hopkin's Medical University and had worked in the hospital there as well as others in Michigan and Ohio.
The next morning (day 2), I arrived at the hospital at 8:30am. The nurses sedated me, prepped me and I woke up from the operation at about 12:30pm in my fairly comfortable and very clean hospital room. Every 2 hours or so, nurses came to take blood, administer antibiotics, change IV bags or help me unhook the IV to use the restroom. I enjoyed an afternoon/evening of sleeping (so very sleepy) and watching US TV (ER, Desperate Housewives, A Side Order of Life, CNN news of the elections and various weird shows on BBC Prime).
At 5:00am on Saturday (day 3), I insisted the nurses take out the IV as the morphine was ineffective and the IV hurt more than the incision sites. At about 8:30am Dr. Camlibel came to visit me to check the healing. He said that everything looked normal and that I could leave whenever I felt well enough. The nurse gave me all the paperwork... which was quite funny. On every very official looking paper, my name was spelled differently and on one of the papers, it gave my complete address in Erbil... but with the country listed as "Almanya" (Germany). Thank goodness the operation was done with more care than the paperwork.
Anyway, at noon I got up for a shower and got ready to leave. Unfortunately, my friend whose house I was staying at had gone to Bulgaria to cover a story for La Stampa Italian newspaper. At 7:00pm, I got dressed and packed, ordered food and at 11:00pm (when I got a text from Tz saying she was almost home), I finally left the hospital - just a little over 2 days from start to finish.

No comments: