Saturday, October 18, 2008

No room in the freezer

Earlier today I met Bg in the garden for a little chat. As we were sitting, she noticed that two of the Bangladeshi workers hired to maintain the buildings on our compound were playing in the children's park. One was sitting on an animal shaped seat on a kind of merry-go-round and the other was spinning it around.

On seeing these two men, I was reminded that the shorter of the two playing had rung the door of my flat a couple of days earlier. He didn't speak very much English... or Kurdish (not that I would have understood anyway), but simply extended his hand to me. In his hand was a large bag of raw chicken. "Please ma'am... in there," he said and gestured towards my kitchen. I felt a little uncomfortable as I didn't know him, or exactly what would happen if I took in his chicken. So I apologized and told him my freezer was full (which in fact it was and still is). But I felt a bit like a cold and heartless b*tch.

Anyway, I told Bg about this and about how I had mentioned it to Dr. Fr who said the same thing happened to him. Dr. Fr; however, had not said that his freezer was full, but merely mumbled something incomprehensible and shut the door. Not one, but two people had refused to let the young man's chicken into their freezers and their kitchens. But truthfully, I felt it a little odd to be approached like that. When I told Bg that I wondered what had happened to him, she said, "Oh, he came to our door too. We froze his chicken for him." I felt glad that someone was charitable enough to make room in their freezer, but I also hope that the company that hired these guys can provide them with adequate equipment to be able to feed themselves. Is it a flaw of my socialization that I feel uncomfortable being asked for freezer space by strangers?

No comments: