Friday, May 29, 2009

Shopping with MAXI MONEY

Eggs, hot chilis, tomatoes, bread... It seems that I haven't been shopping for anything other than groceries in years. This seems strange as I used to go shopping EVERY weekend when I first arrived... Ah, all the wonders of the sprawling bazaar; Indian kohl, henna, spices, gold from Dubai and India, 50-year old handmade kilims, carpets & camel saddlebags, cheap plastic shoes from China, synthetic "Islamic fashion" from Turkey and piles of soap from Syria! But as for my own clothes? With the exception of a few rather uncomfortable synthetic appropriately modest shirts, I buy all my clothes overseas.

So today was rather an event... While at lunch at Bakery & More, T reached into her purse and pulled out some MAXI MONEY! Before when you wanted to get to Bakery & More, you could just ask the taxi driver to take you to Sky Cafeteria... now it is MAXIMALL, which is located directly across from Bakery & More.
MAXIMALL is also filled with Turkish clothes (like the bazaar), but unlike the bazaar, it isn't all synthetic... it just looks like regular shop, containing clothes from Turkish high street brands. Think H&M. I actually bought stuff. After this experience, I have decided that I should get over my skepticism and try Istanbul Bazaar and the shops in Rhine Mall in Iskan.

No comments: