Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Eminonu Miscellania

Ah, the smell of Kokoreç wafting up from the seaside shops selling balık ekmek (fish grilled and sandwhiched in bread. The roar of buses pulling into the bus loop, boats resting off the harbour, a backdrop of mosques, the Bosphorous... This is what I look forward to as I head towards Eminonu each time, but this time, I was only in transit- on my way to Sirkeci to pick up my camera which I left for fixing yesterday. These are some of the sights at Eminonu that I usually pass by without noticing:
Spices for sale in a covered bazaar.
Old ladies selling pigeon feed and children chasing them (the pigeons, not the old ladies).
Of course I notice the Turkish flags everywhere; they are hard not to notice.
But I didn't notice them men selling flags for upcoming soccer matches.

Or the 9 air conditioners keeping the underpass cool.

No comments: