Monday, September 29, 2008

Cuba - Big Rock Day Trip

From Santiago, I only went on one day trip - to a place which I can only remember as being called "Big Rock". I have no photos of that, nor do I remember why it was historically important, but I do remember the journey there... past a lovely garden and a coffee plantation (so I guess I can now share the photos with Sarah as we didn't manage to go in Ponce, Puerto Rico).
The photo above is where the donkey pulls the plough around the circular tough and grinds the coffee. The photo below is of coffee beans.
.
Above is a sea of Anthuriums. I have never seen them growing in such profusion. And below is "Starlice" (Turkish) or "Bird of Paradise". I have one of these in my kitchen in Hawler (Erbil), but it has yet to flower

I bought the only souvenir I have from Cuba- a red seed bracelet- from the lovely lady above. I can see why people consider this to be the most caribbean of Cuban areas as this looks just like Trinidad and Tobago.

No comments: