Monday, September 29, 2008

Cuba - New friends in Santiago

A salsero from Taiwan, Tony "Cubasia" gave me the details of his friends who dance and drum for Ballet Folklorico Cutumba de Santiago de Cuba. In the evenings, I went out to listen to music with the Yoanis, son of the founder (and one of the group's drummers), and prima ballerina Laima (if you check the website, she is the one in the yellow dress on the top left-hand corner). Thanks to them, I can now dance just a little son. Yoanis is the guy at the far left and Laima is second from the right.

And the second photo is of Yoanis' half brother. I include this photo as it shows him seated in a rocking chairs, something that will now always remind me of Cuba. In Cuba, rocking chairs are not just for old folks; everyone has at least one and often 2 or 3 in their living rooms and are for the use of all, old and young.

No comments: