Monday, September 29, 2008

Puerto Rico - Day 1 - Vacation Stop 2

Unfortunately when I arrived in Puerto Rico late at night, I discovered that the hotel I booked online was NOT in San Juan near the airport, but in an inland town in the mountains called Caguas. I finally haggled with a taxi driver to take me for $40. At least the hotel, Four Points (real Sheraton, unlike the fake one in Erbil), was great... best bed, best sleep I have experienced in AGES. The next day, I discovered there is no public transit to speak of in Puerto Rico. So it was yet another taxi to Cabo Rojo, Boqueron Beach... $120 and a few hours later I arrived at the hotel with a suitcase packed with completely inappropriate clothing (remember I was living in Kurdistan and I have no need there for shorts, tank tops, beachwear). I unpacked and while I was trying to decide what to do next, Sarah arrived in swimsuit and sarong (the last time she appeared in my blog she was wearing traditional Kurdish dress!) The picture above is of Boqueron Beach, the beach we stayed at for the next 4 days. How surreal to be with My Kurdistan colleague on a beach wearing swimsuits! (Obviously, this blog being what it is, the pictures of us in our swimsuits will NOT be posted).

No comments: