Sunday, December 21, 2008

Arrival in Nuremberg

Photo compliments of www.hotelreservation.se

So far everything in Germany really has been quite convenient. After collecting my mother from Gate B2 in the Frankfurt airport, we headed 2 floors up to the Deutsch Bahn station to hop a train to Nuremberg. It took about 3 hours during which mom gazed at tiled roofs and snoozed and I started reading for January's lessons back in Hawler (I will leave the marking until later).
The hotel was directly across from the train station, making things somewhat easy (although I deeply regret that the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul wasn't open over Bayram as I truly needed to have purchased either another suitcase with wheels - last medium sized one broke- or something light that I could throw over my back... my borrowed leather thing, although pretty and not so big, weighs a ton).
After dropping the bags, we ventured out, turned right, crossed the street and found ourselves in front of the tourist information center. The smiling and friendly woman there gave us all the necessary information and we headed to the Christmas market. Surrounded by the heady scents of spiced wine, cinnamon and gingerbread, we sipped glühwein from little ceramic boots, sampled the Nuremberg lebkuchen and then headed for some real sustenance: Nuremberg bratwurst, sauerkraut and horseradish, all washed down with a beer. We came back early for mom to catch up on her sleep after nearly 2 days of traveling with no sleep. I haven't taken any pictures yet and the only postcards are one of Frankfurt airport that mom bought where else, but in the airport... and some free ones from the hotel (see above for an idea).

We leave for Munich on the 23rd, but from now until then, you can search for little shadows of mom and I by clicking here on Nuremberg's Christkindlesmarket's page and then on their link to their webcam images from the last 30 minutes. The morning is passing and mom is still sleeping, but I imagine today we will buy a day pass for local trains and go to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

No comments: