Monday, December 15, 2008

Diyarbakır Street Scene


This recent trip over the border was only slight less taxing that sitting on the bridge midsummer and wishing that I was a man so I could find shelter from the heat from in a tirewell of a big truck. Instead we arrived early evening and waited 4 hours in the cold. But I suppose that this is to be expected over Eid. Anyway, on Mu's advice we didn't go to arrive in the wee hours of the morning (my preference - Mu seemed to think the border would be closed!), but went early and spent the night in Diyarbakır. The next morning was spent trying to find a place to change money and buy credit for my Turkish SIM card... not easy over Eid. The city was pretty silent... some stands, like this fruit & veggie stand were standing ready to be opened, but there was nobody in sight. I finally found a stand selling phone credits and headed to the airport for another delay of 3 hours while waiting for the fog to subside.

No comments: