Saturday, December 20, 2008

Shoe thrown at Bush priceless?

As distasteful as it was to me, many students had copies of the infamous Saddam hanging video clip downloaded onto their phones. I don't know why, but I imagined the phenomenon would repeat itself with the whole Iraqi journalist throws shoes at Bush incident. I was completely wrong. I asked a couple of my students what they thought...

Student 1: I couldn't watch... Shameful. Absolutely shameful. How could he do this to somebody's president, present or past? In our culture, we must respect a high ranking person's position!

Student 2: Stupid man, that journalist just wanted to be famous. But it worked. Did you know that some Saudi guy offered $10 million for the shoes?

Student 3: I am a Kurd, not an Arab. This has nothing to do with me. (Why this has anything to do with having an opinion is beyond me).

Student 4: Did you know that this has not really been on local TV much? I only just saw it on Al Jazeera International. Muntadar al-Zeidi doesn't represent all Iraqis.

Friend in Turkey: Wow, the Turkish company (all shoes in Iraq seem to be from Turkey, Syria or China) that made those shoes is going to be RICH!!!

Mu: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha choke ha ha ha ha ha... (as he played the following clip over and over again). This last was more the reaction I was expecting. Shows I still know absolutely nothing about this place!


1 comment:

rMNramana said...

he is adventuresome