Wednesday, January 03, 2007

'Companion in evening talk'


Like last time in Paris, Sm skipped the main party (this time, New Year's Eve) and joined us for dinner & drinks our last night out together. The title of this post is the Arabic meaning of his appropriately chosen name. SA translates it as 'the entertainer'... Either way, he certainly kept us amused. I find it a little creepy that he looks a bit like my brother... and I apparently look like his aunt. I wonder if I also look Algerian then... (or does he look like my mix?) It is kind of comforting to look related to people... or live in parts of the world where people assume you are local if you can just keep your mouth shut. Anyway, although Sm hates visiting the same place twice, we ended up at Le Loup Blanc along with Fo, Ka, and Ta. I love this place because they serve sides of pousses de fougere ('fiddleheads' in English - essentially a kind of baby fern). During dinner, Sm insisted I speak French and that kept me silent for most of dinner... so I really could have passed for either Algerian or French!

After dinner, SA, Sm and I went for drinks in Les Halles (a place SA hates). I just hate trying to say it as I always forget that the first 's' is silent even though the 'h' is also silent. Anyway, we passed this creepy kewpie doll window display on the way (see above). The bar was equally kitch with all sorts of paper mache orbs (planets, fugu fish, etc) hanging from the ceiling. (By the way, did you know that mache means 'masticated'?) I was thinking though that it would be great to have these kinds of places in Hawler... Anyone want to move and open a fusion restaurant or a trendy bar/cafe?

No comments: