Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Festive Trio

Although there was lots of work to be done in Hawler... and although mom in Canada would loved for me to have ventured home, I decided that the more relaxing thing to do would be to spend Christmas with friends for whom Christmas is just a day off work. Meet S in London (for whom every day is a day off work since she has quit and turned down that Liberia offer that would have put her in circumstances with more than a few similarities to mine) and Y (who has never posted... but who will teach me some good Turkish to try out on the cafeteria staff in Hawler). This picture is taken at C and V's house... (Sorry no pictures of them). They recently returned from Hamburg and shared the spoils of German Christmas market with us.... gingery cookies, stolen and etc. They also supplied me with enough much-longed-for chocolate products to keep me happy for another few months in Kurdistan... I should state here that there IS chocolate in Erbil and that some of it is good. It is just not infused with chilli and cardamom!
And this is us at Bar Italia in Soho. Y calls this place Cafe Orgasma.... probably because the coffee is about as good as it gets- BEAUTIFUL, strong and fragrant. I paired mine with a canoli. Yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bar Italia has the best espresso in London, even if it is overpriced. i will be in london from the 12th to the 15th. will you be back in hawler then? miss you!
--Christina

hellimli said...

yaaaay... hello hawleeer this is london. when are you coming back for another cafe orgasmo? Y. ;-)

Zanmei said...

So there are three of us who agree re: Bar Italia's espresso! I am so sorry that I won't be in London from the 12th to 15th to meet Christina (comment 1) for coffee... But you should contact Yash (comment 3)who might bring 'tigerduck' (Comment 2- looking forward to receiving a picture of the cats... ) along and you could all have one for me. Don't know when I'll be back for another... but hope it is very soon.