Saturday, September 08, 2007

Mosaic Museum and Süleymaniye Camii

These photos in this post are typical sightseeing snapshots, so I will let them speak for what we saw. The first picture Trish took as I had no camera. It was taken of a sample of the mosaics found in the Mosaic Museum. This was of particular interest to her as she herself does mosiac work in Holland.
After the museum, we went to Eminönü where I took a little time (or a lot) to replace my lost camera with a much better one. Then we went to visit Istanbul's grandest mosque, arriving (thanks to my shopping) just as the call to prayer rang out. We decided to wait out the prayer time at the çay bahçe in the picture below. There are tombs behind the mosque where not only Süleyman the Mangificent is buried, but also the mosque's architect, Apparently he built one somewhere else that he loved more, but perhaps he figured that the one is Istanbul would be visited and remembered? After all, it is the biggest and grandest.


The last photo, althought slightly fuzzy (couldn't keep hand steady enough without flash) is for you to admire the stained glass. I want a chandelier with little bublbs of such kind of stained glass mosiac-like patterns to hang over my dining table in Iraq, but I don't see it happening since I haven't even gone shopping yet and my luggage is too full.

No comments: