Monday, September 17, 2007

The Museum of Anthropology

What else do I have to say? Since I had been here almost a month and had done less sightseeing than most do in a weekend, I decided to "catch up" this weekend. On Saturday, I went to Dolmabahçe Palace (as you know) and on Sunday, I went to Sultanahmet to visit a few places I hadn't been before. I started with the museum of Archaeology next to Tokapı Palace.

This picture shows people who have just left the section displaying that which is 3-6,000 years old to the section with statues a mere 2-3000 year old.
This photo is from a separate building housing artifacts from Mesopotamia and outlying areas. This "dragon" is from a Babylonian Palace from the time of Nebakanezer.
And from the garden... The garden was full of artifacts that were merely numbered. I post this because I think this Medusa head looks a lot like the ones at the Basillica Cistern. I wonder what the story behind this one is.
Finally, we have cats. There were cats of all colors and ages everywhere at this museum. I wanted to catnap a few and take them home with me to Iraq.

No comments: