Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ah.... Medi!

Set on the flat top of a mountain, the sight of Amedi rising up above the road ahead is an impressive one. Normally, we would stop at Anishki or Sarsang (I don't know which of these the picture below is of) to take photos, but yesterday being Friday, there was no parking. The curbs at least one kilometer before and after the road through these towns was tightly packed with weekend away-from-home tea-drinkers.
Although I had been to Amedi before, I had never managed to see the ancient stairway and gate. This time, with Mu's help, we found it! I am not sure exactly how old it is, but perhaps more than 3000 years? There is some information on the web, but I am not sure how accurate any of it is.

And below is a much newer gate that you will pass through as you descend back down the mountain.

No comments: