Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The taste of summer

OK... so many of the posts lately have all been about food. What else is there really to do in Hawler besides meet a friend for lunch or dinner? (That is one of my biggest problems).

But my latest favorite "find" has got to be the basil lemonade at Al Karam. Of course the owner, Mr. Bechara Choueiry, won't be pleased if you tell him the lemonade is the best item on the menu, but it isn't my fault this item is so delicious - tart, herby and refreshing. It seems that he opened Al Karam nine months ago (when he left Fairuz, which incidentally has closed it's doors only about two weeks ago), but it took me this long to find it... he told me that his new restaurant would be by the Ainkawa overpass, but as I didn't know the names of the overpasses or the way to say "overpass" in Kurdish, I didn't go. Now I know you just say, "Ainkawa jisr."

Bechara will tell you that a good chef is one who likes food... and therefore he should at least be a little fat. (I am not sure that I believe this, but it is true that the food here is better AFTER the "big" chef arrives... try after 1:00pm). 

Above find Bechara in his lovely dining space... and below in front of Al Karam with its clever logo, half of the Lebanese cedar superimposed over the Kurdish sun.
If you would like to know how this lovely summer drink tastes, it seems you just throw some lemon juice, less than the usual amount of sugar, water and fresh basil leaves into a blender. I am going to try this at home in Canada with frozen strawberries added.

PS. If you want to go to Al Karam, they also have fish tajin and fish falafel! But I have yet to try them as you must order a day in advance... Call: 0750.799.7979

PPS. L and S's favorite is the cheese rolls, but the Lebanese bread also is a highlight as it comes all hot and puffy from the over rather than flat, stacked and in little plastic baggies as in other Lebanese restaurants.

PPPs. The photos come from the owner's facebook photo page... he he.

No comments: