Monday, September 21, 2009

100 Meter Road completed!

Today on my way home from an Eid visitation on the outskirts of Hawler, I noticed that we made an unexpected turn after Modern City shopping center (before passing Rizgari Hospital and the Has plant nursery). We travelled on this road all the way back until we reached the checkpoint to Ankawa on the right and were able to turn onto Gulan Street back home. This road was shiny and new, bordered with brightly yellow curbs and flanked with more than one spectacular (in size) shiny new, but unfortunately not yet open, shopping centers. As we were passing under one shiny pastel-colored underpass (which I have never seen before), I asked the driver (Haci) what road we were on. 

"100 Meter Road!" Haci's tone implied the "duh!"

It's true. Although I have lived here 3 years, I don't drive in Kurdistan and don't really know the names of most of the roads. I only know that Hawler is arranged around the citadel - a tell which a city dating back to the 23rd century BC sits under and on top of. Surrounding this ancient city is the rest of Hawler with ring roads encircling it... at 30 meters, 60 meters and 100 meters. I knew this, but did not know that all this time the reason why certain places felt so far away is because we go there by driving to the 60 meter road until reaching the correct intersecting road and then driving back out of the center again. I also didn't know that there is actually a 10 and a 40 meter road as well, but that the 40 is an incomplete ring that just passes near the Kok and Aya supermarkets. 

Anyway, I will post photos of the new supermarkets and other attractions on this newly completed road soon. 

1 comment:

Jason said...

I just got back to the city and have not yet seen the completed road... It is great that it is finally finished!