Monday, September 14, 2009

Kurdistan Travel Wishlist

Dear all,
I have now been back all of about three weeks, and I am already getting itchy feet! There are a number of places within Kurdistan which I unfortunately have never been to... and a few which I'd like to return to.
(Photo taken from mnsu site; link provided in Jarmo bullet point)

2009-2010 Wish List:

  • Lalish during Jema'iye: Sometime at the end of September/beginning of October is the 7-day Feast of the Assembly in Lalish. It would be wonderful to go. I believe they perform baptisms of the 7 silk cloths representing the 7 archangels... as well as the little boys. There are also performances by school children, evening ritual dancing and on the last day, the sacrifice of a bull. (Click to view photos found online). As I still haven't found out the exact dates on the Gregorian calendar, I am worried I might miss this... also I am somewhat worried about the appropriacy (I know this isn't a word) of going during a festival without a Yezidi guide. Perhaps I can find one before Nawruz and the Parade of the Sanjaks... (I could settle for this festival)
  • Jarmo: an archaeological site in the Zagros Mountains which shows how some of the first farmers lived... I hear there are also remains of a fortress/castle.
  • Shanidar Cave: Although people who have been here say there isn't much to see now, it is still pretty interesting to go to site of such archeological importance. This place is noted for Paleolithic occupancy and later Neanderthal burials (some of the skeletons showing signs of injury and healing).
  • Rabban Beya Monastery: I have heard of many monasteries located in the area and have never been to any of them. This one, apparently located near Shaklawa used to be a refuge for monks and dates back to the fourth century AD.
  • Halabja: While perhaps not the most beautiful or uplifting spot, I feel it necessary to visit Halabja and pay respects to the victims of Anfal. It seems that there is talk of having a world-renowned architect construct a large museum there that would help to remember the victims in a respectful way. Afterwards, it would be nice to continue on to Rania or one of the places near the Iranian border.
  • Dohuk dam & nearby caves: On past trips to Dohuk (aside from the trip to halamata), I merely only passed through or stopped for shopping at Mazi Mall or a fish lunch at Malta. Next time I want to visit Dohuk Dam and the nearby caves.
Sorry for the silence, but please stay connected for future Kurdistan adventures... and/or write me with suggestions for trips I have not documented here.

No comments: