Thursday, September 03, 2009

Learn from London?

In truth, this post is just an excuse to post more pictures from my vacation which are completely unrelated to Hawler in any form or fashion other than being of things which I enjoyed or which caught my attention after a long period of being in Hawler. After Stockholm and Canada, I stopped in London on my way back to Kurdistan. The following photos contain that which I would have liked to pack in those FedEx boxes I sent to myself here in Hawler, but which could not have fit!

A place for fine dining...
Below photo is of high tea at Harvey Nichols. Where in Hawler can you go for high tea? Or Sunday brunch with eggs benedict and dollar pancakes with fruit compote? And what about contemporary dining, haute cuisine, sushi, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Italian...
A place to just hang out and stay cool in summer...
Below is a fountain on the South Bank. The water shoots up in a grid and the "squares" alternate so you can stand in the middle of one of the fountain's squares and cool down by being surrounded by water. Leave without getting wet after the water in your square turns off.
A sense of humor...
Hmm... what to write here? I passed the section of the South Bank below on the way to a free jazz concert. Oh yeah, can we add that to the list...
Free Cultural Events...
A body of water...
OK. I realize this one is an unreasonable request. The pond at Sami Abdul Rahman Park will have to do.
A comfortable smoke-free place to hang out with friends in the evenings...
even if all those friends are women.

No comments: