Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ramadan Couch Potato

Over Ramadan, one of the most notable things is the incredible number of hours that mind-numbing, idle TV-watching increases by. Maybe it is only me that watches more TV, but I doubt it. On weekends that would normally be spend taxiing around town, I sit on the sofa in front of the TV and call people to find out the Ramadan hours of operation while trying to decide whether or not it is a good idea to chance going out and possibly finding the intended establishment shut.

In any case, the TV (as mentioned before) is a good way to know what is going on in the Muslim world as the English channels I watch come from the UAE, Saudi, and Turkey:

This station is especially handy as its special Islamic programming during the month of Ramadan is broadcast with English subtitles, including a TV series developed from the poetry of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum; Prime Minister, Vice President and leader of the UAE. (Unfortunately I can't comment on it as I haven't actually watched this series).
Dubai One always interrupts programming with short messages letting viewers know when the time for prayers are. During Ramadan, they are more festive (see above) and include a message for Iftar (see below). I like this even though there is a one hour time difference between Dubai and Erbil. When I see the iftar message, I go and start preparing dinner.
MBC Action, MBC2, MBC4, MBC MAx, and MBC Action:
Unfortunately, there is nothing to report about these stations... other than that I have them. I thought that because they are Saudi, I would see clips of pilgrims on the Haj and prayers at Mecca (like are shown on the Kurdish and Turkish channels)... but no, there is nothing to report other than a more repetitive than usual schedule... awaiting new fall schedule to start after Eid.

This station also shows special programming... especially for children. In the mornings, they have clay-mation programs that document the life of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and other specials.
But there is also something annoying... It (much like the TurkSat channel CNBC-e) shows FAR TOO MANY commercials!!!
While typing up this post, I found the following article on CNN: Middle East hungry for TV during Ramadan. So I guess it isn't only me who watches more TV (and endures more commercials) over Ramadan...

No comments: