Sunday, November 19, 2006

Daily Hawler Reflection and Corrections

In other cities I have lived in, I have neglected to keep any kind of journal. After leaving, I regret. I can remember 'newsworthy' things - the Kobe earthquake and the Om Shinrikyo sarin attacks in the Tokyo subway; tear gassings of students during North Korea support rallies in Myongdong, Seoul and suffering the IMF crisis with everyone else being paid in won. What I struggle to remember are things like green tea Haagen Daas sundays with red bean during summers in Japan, tutoring Park Wan Seo (first Korean female novelist) in English and learning about life during the Japanese occupation, shopping for decadent French imports and watching movies with T at Taipei 101 (currently tallest building in the world)....

Therefore, the postings on this url are purely impressionistic. There are many errors (such an early post claiming that B was from Cardiff - she is Welsh, but not from Cardiff) and there have been a couple of posts which have caused concern - most notably 'A TRULY mad tea 'party'. I would like to clarify. The details on that particular post were most shamefully lifted (almost in entirety) from 'Alice in Wonderland'. I am not cracking at the seams as some people worried. That particular posting was about a really surreal meeting I attended in order to clarify some work-related problems. Any resemblance of the characters to people you know is purely accidental and should be blamed not on me, but on Lewis Carroll. I just felt at the time like I had fallen down some rabbit hole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From memory, the comment I was going to leave on Friday but that disappeared into the ether...

You asked for comments, so here goes. This is my blog commenting debut, and as such, I thought that rather than just stepping up to the "mike", I might as well introduce myself.

M and I go back to her time in Yokohama (don't know if you've kept up with the Aum saga, M, but Asahara Shoko was recently handed the same sentence as Saddam, while the Joyu guy (the cute (?) one) is still leading the cult under the guise of making money to pay the victims' compensation?!? (Only in Japan, I guess).

I took the trip of my dreams to Iran earlier this year, and no sooner returned than was one-upped by M! (Can't imagine where you might go next. Home might be the most shocking...)

I'd be interested in hearing what was behind M and her colleagues to choosing Iraq?

Cheers, M, and keep up the good work!

W in Yokohama @ will try to keep it shorter next time