Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hallowe'en in Hawler


For your enjoyment, I am posting a picture taken by G on Oct 31st. The wicked witch is T, the good witch is S; the woman without obvious costume is unknown to me; I am the ghost and Z came as a pirate. Anyway, the gathering was a D's since the invite list and invitations came from her 6-year-old. The guests (aside from me and my colleagues) were from S University here in Hawler. Three of them were English teachers and surprisingly, it would seem they were possessed of fewer teaching resources and functioned with less organization than us. Allegedly, all of their materials were downloaded off of the Internet and arranged into a photocopiable book by their director. They taught no more than 12 hours a week as they wanted to spend the rest of the time learning KURDISH! When I heard this, my initial feeling was a pang of envy... then I remembered their real purpose for being here and understood. Missionaries- all of them! Just what this place really needs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely you mean 'no more than *2* hours a day?! Missionaries are NOT my fav people but I won't get into that here. Glad things are going better and you are well again. miss you and love you,

S in the UK