Sunday, November 12, 2006

Saturday afternoon at the bazaar


After coming home from my early morning trip to the Citadel, S confronted me and let me know in no uncertain terms that I must work harder to wake her up to go with me next time! Anyway, we gathered Z and returned to the area below the Citadel. We started with a walk around the bazaar and tea at the shop mentioned in the post 'Heart of Hawler'. This was nice as it gave me the chance to sit in a tea shop and read. S was occupied with reading and watching people watch/draw us. Maybe I should bring my sketchpad next time? This first photo shows the tea shop. The entrance is under the pink sign left of the shop selling machine-made carpets that look nothing like the ones in the Kurdish Textile Museum (see below). Some have portraits of religious and folk figures on them. Imagine prominantly displaying such a rug in your home!

After tea, we returned to the bazaar... I am sure you already know where! Luckily we managed to refrain from yet another carpet buying frenzy. This fuzzy picture (taken by the young guy who owns the shop across the way) shows Z, me, S and the carpet shop owner drinking tea and contemplating possible purchases.... CALMLY! (You might not recognize Z due to the lack of facial hair, but he assures us it will grow back within a week).

This final picture is one that Z took of me. This is to let you know that this really is my blog and that I have not delegated the posting to someone else in the community.

No comments: