Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Birthday S


Yesterday was S's B-day. As an unofficial 'gift' from university staff, she got a trip to Shaklawa. Wonderful to get out of the city for a bit, I imagine. (I won't write more on that as I still hope to go myself and be able to supply photos). However, after getting home, she received the best gift EVER from Z - a hot-pink 3 piece track suit with light blue piping and the word Kurdstan emblazoned across the front and emphasized with applique flags. How nationalistic!

Anyway, we then went to Hawler Restaurant (unfortunately S did NOT weat the pink suit - I have major pink suit envy as I have considered the pink J-Lo velour tracksuit more than once). Anyway, the primary thing to mention about the restaurant (aside from the fact the the food and wine were both good - uncommon for Hawler) is that the restaurant was decorated with kilims and local carpets. Imagine S, T and me in such a place... I believe the owner can probably be convinced to part with S's favorite rug at some point in the not so distant future, so who knows, there could be yet another B-day gift to come for S.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I was a soldier(US)stationed in Irbil in 2003. I lived in the Hawler Restaurant for 3 months.

How are things lately? I had many friends in the Peshmerga.